The Stephen Girard Building was built in 1896 and designed in the Beaux-Arts style. Despite being called the Stephen Girard Building, the property was never occupied by the famous banker, as it was built 65 years after his death. It is a symbol for the powerful legacy of Stephen Girard’s charitable mission in Philadelphia, complete with Ionic columns and caryatids flanking the grand portico. The building will continue to honor his legacy as it is converted from an outdated office building to an upbeat boutique hotel at the heart of the East Market neighborhood – a transformation exemplified in this remarkable photo! Cleaning and repair of the exterior façade are currently underway.