The BoursePhiladelphia, PA
Breathing new life into the building and restoring The Bourse to its former glory.
- MRP Realty
- November 2018
- 358,000 SF
- Architect, Interior Designer
The Bourse was built in 1895 as the first commodities exchange hall in the United States. Orginally a grand double height open trading floor supported seven levels of office space, surrounding a glass covered light court above. Over the years, the building evolved to a few iterations of retail and office uses. The building had maintained prominence with its location astride Independence Mall and its handsomely robust exterior, but much of its original interior grandeur was lost or buried with outdated changes over the years.
BLTa created and actualized a vision brething new life into the Bourse, by designing a top-tier food hall with great variety and density of vendors. Historic details were uncovered, embraced, and incorporated in the renovation. A grand entry portico facing Independence Mall was restored by the removal of a mezzanine from prior renovations which had buried prominent original panelled archways. Other original substantial features were found intact. New paint and lighting brightens the space, highlighting the original and new architectural details.
- Preservation Alliance Awards in 2021
- Silver Medal for Architectural Excellence - Awarded by AIA Pennsylvania for the historic preservation of The Bourse
- AIA Philadelphia's Honor Award